Do you want your child to be known, to belong, to be challenged, to have opportunities, to be confident, to be ready? We want you to learn why you want Wooster School for your child! We invite you to come visit and see firsthand how students and teachers make meaning together every day!
Join us for an Open House on Saturday, October 26 at 9:00 am
Founded in 1926, Wooster School, a co-educational, grades 3 through 12, college preparatory day school, is located in Danbury, Connecticut. Wooster School stands on a firm foundation of teaching, learning, and community values. While our strong community traditions of self‐help and relationship building have long been recognized as strengths, our more recent commitment to innovative approaches to thinking, skill‐building, and the development of dispositions have the potential to push us into position as a regional school of choice for families who recognize that learning how to think, to learn, and to create relationships will be key to the success and fulfillment of our students in the 21st Century and beyond. We are a school of thinkers, learners, and creators. By combining tradition, innovation, and the power of relationships, Wooster produces curious, capable and compassionate young people with the skills and dispositions to be successful and fulfilled in college, and in life.
Substitute School Nurse
Wooster School is currently seeking a substitute School Nurse who can be called upon to cover for our full time School Nurse periodically. This position includes addressing the health needs of the entire school during the academic school year and tending to the health of all students at Wooster’s summer camps. Wooster School educates a diverse population of students in terms of academic ability, socioeconomic background, and ethnicity. Wooster School is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools.
Wooster provides a wonderful work environment meeting the healthcare needs of students, faculty, and staff while at school. Wooster has nine separate buildings on campus; either students come to the Health Center or the nurse goes to them, depending on the nature of the illness or injury. Confidentiality in all school issues is a must.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assessing student health status
- Providing emergency care
- Ensuring access to health care
- Identifying and managing barriers to student learni
- Assuming role in maintaining safety and health promotion of faculty, staff, and students on campus
- Addressing the needs of various age levels from early childhood to twelfth graders
- Hours required to work are 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, as needed
- Registered professional Nurse with minimum 2 years school nurse experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing or related field
- National School Nurse Certification a plus
Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to work with all age groups, including parents
- Must be able to work in conjunction with the Athletic Trainer
- Current CPR/AED Professional Rescuer certification
Other Related Requirements
- Three professional references provided upon request
- Current RN Connecticut State license
Hourly rate of $30
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to:
Charlotte Wood, Assistant to the Head of School
Part-Time Upper School Spanish Teacher
Wooster School seeks a part-time Upper School Spanish teacher with a strong background and experience in teaching of Upper School students. The ideal candidate will have an advanced degree, knowledge of and experience with ACTFL standards and competencies, teaching experience at the Upper School level, and a capacity, flexibility, and desire to teach across grade levels and divisions. Candidates should be curious students of the art and science of teaching and learning, particularly in the context of competency-based education and personalized instruction. They should demonstrate a flexible, positive, and a can-do disposition, and should have experience and be interested in innovative teaching and the use of technology.
Part-time Wooster teachers:
- Teach one or two sections of Spanish
- Demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning through continued professional development
Salary & Benefits
This is a part-time, exempt position. Salaries are competitive with local independent schools.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and statement of philosophy to:
Christopher Pannone, Associate Head of School
Tutor for Specialized Therapies
Specialized therapy tutors support our Grade 3-12 students with language based learning differences by providing interventions and remediation while working with parents, teachers, and outside professionals on best practices. Specialized therapy tutors should have training and experience using the Orton Gillingham method and programs like the Wilson Reading System and the Just Words Program. In addition, tutors should be well versed in teaching comprehension strategies, specifically using Lindamood Bell’s Visualizing and Verbalizing program.
Wooster believes that students with language based learning differences can achieve at high levels if they receive specialized instruction tailored to their unique needs, support that builds on their strengths and mitigate their challenges, and an environment that is engaging and sparks their desire to learn. Wooster believes that students’ learning experiences must be tailored to their individual needs, skills, and interests, and enable them to take ownership of their learning. Students at Wooster also develop deep connections to each other, their teachers, and other adults.
The work of the specialized tutor focuses on students with language based learning differences.
Specialized tutor responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Prepares and implements a strategic plan for ongoing intervention and remediation.
- Supports efforts to ensure that the planning and implementation of services seamlessly meet the needs of students with disabilities, reduce the stigma of special education, and maximize accessibility to enable students with disabilities to meet high standards.
- Remains current with accepted and appropriate instructional practice and research. This includes engaging in regular and strategic professional development.
- Uses formative, interim, and summative assessments to document student progress and achievement; assesses and analyzes student strengths and needs; designs and implements appropriate instruction to facilitate learning and growth.
- Gives input to teachers regarding student Progress Reports as deemed appropriate and necessary.
- Be available and committed to ongoing verbal dialogue and conversations with the parents and the Wooster community.
- Training in the Wilson Reading Program (certification preferred) or Orton-Gillingham certification
- Training in Lindamood Bell’s Visualizing and Verbalizing
- At least three (3) years of successful experience as an educator or reading tutor
- Valid Teacher Certification (preferred)
- Reading certification or working toward the successful completion of literacy certification (preferred)
- Understanding of Wooster’s Vision: Purpose, Promise and Belief
- Ability to model for, work with, plan with, and coach others.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with work experience.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and statement of philosophy to: Antoinette Fornshell, Director of Lower School & Student Learning Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wooster School is looking for substitute teachers with teacher training and experience with students in grades 3rd through 12th. For those interested in Grade 3 through Grade 5, please send resumes and letter of interest to Mary Beth Brady at email@example.com. For those interested in Grades 6 through Grade 12, please send resumes and letter of interest to Missy Munk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wooster School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we provide a work environment that welcomes diversity. In addition to a competitive salary, employees receive retirement, health insurance, tuition remission, short and long term disability and life insurance benefits.
All employees are subject to a criminal background check before any contractual offer is final.